Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Mater Familia

Today is my Mom's Birthday.

Sorry Mom, apparently this is the only picture I have of the two of us that is not from the 1980s.

I was going to send her an eCard but then I was like: whatever, I have a blog.

So here we are.

You know all about my mother; I've written about her many times.  And if you haven't read any of those posts...well, then...get out.

I am sure that what I am going to write today I've already said much more cleverly and eloquently before.  As a writer you are instructed to fear and rebuff repetition at all costs and in general, that's a good rule to follow.

But over the years, I've learned that repetition can be useful.  

When I was teaching, I would repeat myself what felt like 500 times over.  And yet each time, a new student heard me for the first time.  So for clarity purposes, repetition is beneficial--crucial even.

Then there comes that small matter of telling the people you love that you love them.  Here too repetition proves helpful. Especially for moms.  

I am not a mother myself yet, so I can't say this for certain, but I am enough of a perfectionist in all other things to suspect that as a parent, you are never quite sure you are doing your job right.  Sure there maybe fleeting moments of triumph over the years and you may feel a sense of reassurance when your children don't grow up to be methheads but I can imagine that the  self-doubt is (at times) oppressively omnipresent.  Obviously, this is a matter that I've stressed out about very little.

Anyways, the point is that I really can't tell my mother enough how incredible she is.  I can't say too many times how kind, patient, and devoted she is--how fortunate I feel to be growing steadily like her.  It's not tedious to recognize, just once more, how much strength she gives to everyone in our family.

Especially this year.  My mother's strength has never been more apparent.

I've said it before and I will say it again: my mother is the most amazing woman that I know.   I will forever be grateful to be one of the lucky six people who can call her Mom.  And hopefully because I am one of the lucky six, these words will be more impactful.

As to the title of this post, my dad loves to reference O Brother, Where Art Thou? by jokingly calling himself the Pater Familia.  Which, he is, of course.  But, we both know, Mom, who's really running the show...<wink>

Oh and p.s. for all you non-family member readers--all two of you--I promise to have less family-centric posts coming your way in this shiny New Year.  How do you feeling about discussing politics?  Or the career of Gina Davis?  Or fracking?  Or dolphins?  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment