Monday, September 8, 2014

An Update

Thank you to all of you who have kept John and my family in your prayers and who have sent me messages of love and support.  I cannot adequately express how much they mean to me.  This whole terrible situation has been humbling in the best and worst ways.  I say worst because I am human and it's hard to be humbled.  Especially like this.

I write today not only to thank you but also to ask that you please continue to keep John in your thoughts and prayers.  As many of you know, John (who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia), is currently in the ICU with a blood infection.  The situation is very serious but at least now there is the slightest flicker of hope and evasive as it is, I can not help but to latch onto it.

On Thursday, my siblings and parents all left our respective jobs and homes to be by John's side. His organs were starting to fail and they told us he might die.  But he lived through the night. They told us the same thing on Friday but more curtly and more directly.  This time there was no qualifier--it seemed a certainty. We all said our goodbyes.  But he lived through another night.

It's clear he's fighting like hell to stay with us.

On Friday, the doctors were speaking about everything in terms of minutes and hours.  On Saturday, they started speaking about everything in terms of days.  Now, they have started speaking about everything in terms of weeks.  I never thought I would be so happy to hear that my brother might have to spend weeks in the ICU.  But I am.

It's really all about time now and the longer he can hold on, the stronger chance he has at recovery.

So I must humbly ask you to please continue to pray and send positive thoughts to John.

It's clear they are making a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Wendy, I posted a rather lengthy comment, but I am so inept at such things as computers and the internet, that it vanished as soon as I had written and attempted to "publish it." Please know of our heartfelt concern, our empathy, our love, our prayers. John Hierholzer, Kate Ramsay Rhodes's pastor for many a year.

    ReplyDelete