Monday, March 3, 2014

A Portrait of the Consumer as a Young(ish) Lady

I just returned from a four day trip to Seattle for the AWP conference--don't click away!  I promise I won't test your attention span by recounting every moment of my waiting in airport security lines or my watching of trashy television while lying in a hotel bed with a glass of wine and a bar of chocolate.  Spoiler alert.  There was a lot of that.

It's really good to be home.

Don't get me wrong, it was a delightful trip and everything but my life has been so disrupted recently by illness, work, events, and travel that going grocery shopping and running my usual Sunday errands yesterday felt like the biggest treat. Ever.  I guess from here it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to middle age.  And then death.

I'm sure if you shifted through the archives of this blog--because why wouldn't you?--you would find some post complaining about the dullness of routine. Well I take it all back to tune of Joni Mitchell and vow I will never feel that way again.   At least until a month or two from now when I will ask you to do the same thing for this post.

Oh human nature, you incorrigible thing, you.

Anyways, onto today's topic: march madness.

Just kidding.  I would rather watch a Mary Kate and Ashley marathon (or some other thing that I would probably enjoy less) than talk about sports.

I don't know what it is about spring, because we're in spring now, right?  But all I sort of want to do is buy things.  I know what you're thinking: gee Wendy, how is that different than any other time if your life?  Well. You got me there.  It probably isn't but stop being such a naysayer and get on board with me already.  Also, naysaying falls under my jurisdiction, so don't go there.

Unfortunately/Fortunately/Who knows, in an effort to be more fiscally responsible, I've put myself on a pretty tight budget that has approximately zero lettuce (ugh, hate that term, why am I using it?) devoted to non-essentials.  So much of my (albeit little) free time these days has been spent pruning epic wishlists.

Here for your viewing pleasure are items from all categories:

1. Vitafusion Women's Gummy Vitamins


Okay, so I actually did break down and buy this. It's for my health so I've reclassified it from superfluous to indispensable.

My multivitamin consumption has recently sputtered to halt after a few run ins with Mr. Toilet following my usual morning dosage.  I am not sure if it's because I wasn't eating enough or if the ones I was taking weren't a good fit with my digestive system but nausea and vomiting are not two things that I particularly enjoy experiencing, especially in the workplace.

I really wanted to get back into the habit of taking multivitamins, I had heard good things about Vitafusion, and I find it difficult to believe that sweet little gummies could make anyone ill.  Unfortunately, a bottle of 150 chewies goes for about $12 a pop at Target, which dangerously approximates my self-imposed spending limit for any one item.

Still, health first.  So I decided, why not, and picked up a bottle yesterday while out running my errands.  

I took two this morning along with a samoa.  So, clearly, I am now the picture of good health.

2. ...speaking of samoas...Every Girl Scout Cookie Ever


These I have also already purchased through a friend's niece at work.  Alas, they have not come in yet so yesterday, while at Trader Joe's, I bought a box of samoas.  Never mind that I have a samoa recipe that I have been dying to try out.  Oh well, maybe after girl scout cookie season, when I am craving these cookies that really aren't that great but somehow are that great.  Someone write a paper about this phenomenon and explain it to me. Sincerely, Wendy Kozak.


3.  Shoes, shoes, and more shoes

So I know that I am beginning each one of these with an "I already bought this but..." which seems to negate my earlier statement about my frugal lifestyle, BUT I had a coupon for American Eagle and these clogs were whispering my name.


Loudly.  So I gave in.  And they turned out to be the most comfortable shoe ever, so I have given myself permission to feel really smug and not at all guilty about this purchase.

But now...


These boots (also from American Eagle) are whispering my name and they're on clearance, and there are only a few sizes left but one of them happens to be my size, which almost never happens and GAH!  What do I do?  And before you say anything, not blogging about it is not an option...

Also, I've had my eyes on these for a while on modcloth...

...and now these from gap.



...but maybe we shouldn't go there.

4. Handbags(?)

I am not a handbag person.  I know some people are really into that but I've never been.  I'm a one purse at a time kind of gal.  My current purse is from Urban Outfitters and was a steal at $15 (marked down from $50), so it not only serves a symbol for my trifty triumphs but it meets my bag needs splendidly; as in, it has plenty of pockets, is big enough to hold a book but not big enough to hold a computer, which is where I think a purse stops being a purse and becomes a briefcase/suitcase/piece of luggage.  And that is where I draw the line.

Traditionally, I will only buy a new handbag when my current handbag is falling apart and my current handbag is still kicking and serving me well. But recently, this little number caught my eye...



It's from Forever 21 and is only $20.  I know, Forever 21 is not exactly known for its quality but I love the color and the print inside of the bag--which is strangely something I care deeply about--and I hate myself for saying this, but I love the size.  Even though it looks like it might be able to snugly fit a laptop.

5.  Kimono

These must be in or something because over the last few months it seems like they are everywhere and I love them.

Here are some of my favorites (most of which are from Forever--don't judge me--but there are also some Free People and Urban Outfitters sprinkled in there as well):








Heart. Be. Still.

But moving on...

6. Art Prints

So I am not so entirely shallow as to only fantasize about buying clothing and accessories.  Although, the jury may still be on that...  Perhaps it comes from working at an art college and looking at art all day long, but I think if I really had a lot of disposable income, some of it would go towards buying the above items but most of it would go towards buying art.

It's safe to say that I am a pretty aesthetically driven person.  I struggle almost daily with whether or not this is a good thing.  But the fact of the matter is that I like things that are pretty: clothes, people, accessories, spaces, art, etc.

I recently did a decor overhaul on our apartment and I am pleased with all of the art that is now hanging but we honestly don't have enough wall space for the amount of art--particularly illustration work--I would like to buy.

If you've ever even glanced at my art pinterest wall, a lot of these will be familiar to you:










Most of these prints can be found on artwork sharing websites like Society 6 (which I have mentioned before) or on the Jealous Curator blog (which I have also mentioned before).  They deserve mention again because they are awesome.  If this were the 18th century and I were an art patron, the work on these two sites is what I would commission, with vague direction like: make me something that appeals precisely to my taste.  Go.

All right. I think I've given your eyeballs enough exercise for today.  Now go, my readers, and search out blogs of more substance.  Like Kate's, whose most recent post made me weep.  Just a little.  (Okay, a lot.)

But before you go, I leave you with just one last image:




A recent selfie.  I promise I will wear a shirt next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment