Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Bee Positive?

Is it terrible that I am secretly really happy that Reese Witherspoon got arrested for drunken disorderly conduct on that same night that I unintentionally decided I didn't act enough like Ernest Hemingway in the drink yourself to death department?

Is it bad that that sentence contained one too many words and not nearly enough punctuation?

If you answered yes to both of those questions, get out.  As for the rest of you, welcome.  Thank you for validating me.

As we all know, I tend to err on the negative nancy side of obnoxious girl paradigms so beginning yesterday, while I was lying on my couch reevaluating my life choices, I vowed that I would make a concerted effort to be more of an Elmo and less of an Oscar the Grouch.  I also vowed that I would work on coming up with non-Sesame Street related analogies but one step at a time.

So here goes nothing.

Things to feel good about (alternative list title: things I don't hate):

My mom

And the rest of my family too, obvs.  But it was my mother who told me over the phone today that I should feel happy and successful because I have a job and a partner that I love.  Isn't that a wonderful sentiment!?  Too bad looking on the bright side isn't genetic and that self-criticism is still one of my favorite pastimes.

Hollie Chastain


Look at how marvelous she is. I found her via the only art blog that I frequent: The Jealous Curator.  I like to borrow other people's good taste, cultivating my own takes far too much effort.

Harry Potter

This is one of a few issues that Moses and I differ strongly on.  He thinks it's reductive fantasy fiction and I could really care less.  To me, it is a comforting and enjoyable read and I will continue to reread it repeatedly during this awkward transitional stage of my life. I don't care if her prose is lacking, I don't care if it's substantive literature, I like Harry, I like Dumbledore, I just want to see them succeed against evil.  So stop judging me.  No.  Positive.  Must stay positive.

Portlandia

Like most shows I now worship (30 Rock, Community, Parks and Recreations, Arrested Development), I was resistant at first, but the kooky sketches won me over.  However, as a result of the following skit, I can no longer take anything with a bird on it seriously.  Not even my prized bird plates.


This email

I know it's old news at this point but I love a good story of comeuppance, especially when it involves student delinquency: http://doanie.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/mean-professor-tells-student/

This man



And this man



Sigh.

Pinning DIY projects to Pinterest that I will never ever do

Like this...


(Spray painted folding chairs with vintage wallpapered seats)

or this...


(Former shutter transformed into magazine holder)

Never going to happen.  But that's okay.  Pinning these projects makes me feel productive.

Military green utility jackets

and clothing in general.

Jurassic Park (in 3-D)



I will love and religiously quote this movie until the day I die.

Okay, that's enough for today.  Have a good rest of your Monday.  (See, wasn't that a nice sign off.)

1 comment: