Thursday, July 19, 2012

En Juillet

I must confess myself, dear reader, astonished that it is July.  My gaze seems to have drifted from my calendar somewhere in mid-May, only to just wander back to behold the bleak and ghastly reality that it is now the dreaded estival median.  That's right, folks.  We are currently confronting the mortality of summer.  I can count the number of weeks left on one hand.  How's that for depressing?

But never you fear, dears.  I know you come to me for your daily dose of optimisim and I don't want to dissapoint.  So dab your eyes and repress your sighs--all is not lost.  I can say that now because I am on the other side of it; I've come out of my veritable mid-summer crisis.  My sentences are peppered with far fewer alases these days and I've managed to almost entirely cease all my lamentations that summer is half over, that I haven't done anything yet, and that I don't know who I am or what I am doing with my life (it was rather existential, as most of my crises inevitably are.)

The fact of the matter is that I have done things.  Lots of things.  And I have a quite a few more things planned before the summer's out.

For example, earlier this month, Moses and I traveled downtown and visited the Los Angeles Natural History Museum. 


I love Natural History Museums.  I don't know who doesn't.  If you are reading this and you don't, do me a favor: go to a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself why your life is a lie.  I mean, doesn't everyone want to be an archeologist from ages 6-9?  I still sometimes flirt with notion whenever I've had a particularly crummy day of teaching.  In fact, I'm rather surprised it took me and Moses so long to get down there.  I shamefully didn't even know it existed until watching a T.V. show that was suppose to take place in New York but like everything else is actually filmed in LA.  In that particular episode, the protagonists were suppose to be visiting the Natural History Museum.  Since I've been to the one in New York half a dozen times, I knew immediately that the space that they were claiming to be the American Museum of Natural History was not, so I asked Moses if Los Angeles had one.  He said that he thought they did and I immediately went a-googling to confirm.

Although considerably smaller than its eastern counterpart, it was still quite fun.  The gem exhibit was particularly exquisite.  It was like looking at magnificent, naturally occurring artwork.  Moses was equally impressed and was very to excited to be learning new things.  He insists that he enjoys it.  Clearly, as a scientist, he's chosen the wrong profession.


I think that overall, the dinosaur exhibit was my favorite.  I've had a long standing love affair with dinosaurs (see picture below).  I wanted to be a paleontologist from ages 9-13 because apparently being an archeologist didn't involve enough digging up of dinosaur bones.  Also, dinosaurs are awesome.  If you are reading this and you don't like dinosaurs, do me a favor: go to a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself and then punch yourself in the face.  You deserve it.


I also got a bike this summer.  That is certainly something.  And Moses and I have taken many a weekend ride to the Venice beach bike path.  We even biked down to the Marina on the Fourth of July to watch the fireworks display.

We had never been before, so we weren't entirely sure how early we should get there to reserve a good spot.  We decided we'd pack a picnic equipped with makeshift trader joe's s'mores and a nalgene bottle filled with two buck chuck and bike down to Burton Chace Park around 6ish (three hours before the show was schedule to start.)

Technically this is against the law, since it's an open container, but luckily I'm subtle.

Naturally, we were a little apprehensive at first.  Neither of us particularly liked the prospect of having to spend three hours in each other's company, our stomach knotted like fists...


Oh and by the way, that picture, the one above, is Moses' new absolute favorite picture of us together.  Yeah.  Can you believe this guy?


Me neither, but I digress.   As you can see we nabbed a spot with a great view...


...of the Marina, not, unfortunately, of the fireworks.  We were informed by Park Rangers about 15 minutes before the show that if we wanted to see any of it, we would need to go to the opposite side of the park.

Please note that I do not have any pictures of the fireworks because A. I actually watched them for real, instead of filming them on my iPhone like everyone else around us (not that I have an iPhone but that's hardly the point) B. My camera has a firework setting but I have been unable to figure out exactly how it works (t-minus five years and counting) C. It was crowded and I didn't feel like it and I didn't particularly want to ruin other peoples' viewing of the show with my camera's constant flashing (unlike those mentioned above in A.)

The following weekend, Moses I traveled to Estes Park, Colorado for Bill and Ruth's wedding.  It rained 99.8% of the time, which didn't bother me any except that I didn't think to bring rain appropriate footwear.

The landscape itself was remarkable.


Yes, the view from the rental car was spectacular
And we stayed in a rather charming cabin with Kate, Jacob, Baby Jake, and Mellie Rae.




I apologize for the general lack of photos but I was too distracted having a great time to do much snapping.  They did have a photo booth at the wedding, which I thought was a really neat idea.  And like any good idea, it was made only greater by debauchery.

Case in point:


Yes.  That is my boyfriend of eight years. Isn't he amazing?  Although, I would like you all to know that it was I who suggested he use the app on his phone for his Flava Flave clock.  You're welcome world for my awesomeness.

You're also welcome for my modeling genius. 


Although in my gin and tonic + infinite glasses of wine haze, I didn't quite realize that some of my poses were awkward (and perhaps vaguely racist.)  So, sorry world for my terribleness.




A big congrats to Ruth and Bill!  You are a lovely couple and lovely friends and lovely people and your wedding was lovely and enjoyable x 1000.


There you have it, proof that I have not wasted my summer.  I have made it to this midpoint having had a respectable amount of fun.  Stayed tuned for more adventures!

Not pictured: the hours spent sitting on my couch reading US magazine and watching repeats of the same Keeping Up the Kardashians episodes for the 18th, 19th, and 20th time.

No comments:

Post a Comment